It’s that time of year, to enjoy a Thursday off, with turkey to boot! So it’s also time for the annual Pyramid gives thanks blog in honor of Thanksgiving.
Before we start, did you know that turkey is way down the list in terms of concentration of tryptophan, the melatonin-like substance that’s commonly (and perhaps wrongly) blamed for many a Thanksgiving Day nap? An equivalent amount of raw soybeans or Parmesan cheese has twice the amount of the sleepy stuff than turkey does. Two things immediately come to mind: 1) Do you know how much turkey I’m gonna eat; and 2) If I put that much cheese on my plate, they’ll be no room left for pie.
So put the turkey aside for a couple minutes and learn what we’re thankful for this year:
- Open-source acceptance. More and more, the industry has moved to using open-source tools over licensed tools. Open source allows companies to build customized solutions much more easily than with fully licensed tools. With open source, you can have it your way.
- Increased movement to the cloud. The more environments (both production and test) that are in the cloud, the easier it is to test in “production-like” environments. It is no longer necessary to tunnel, or remote into a test environment that is behind a client’s firewall. Also, the number of organizations transitioning to the cloud promises us a greener tomorrow.
- DevOps. Even smaller organizations are seeing the benefits of moving to a more streamlined, automated process for not only build management, but also for deployment.
- Docker (not the pants). How containers like Docker are maturing, coupled with their wider acceptance in the real world.
- Coffee!!!. Would not be able to get much done without coffee. Doesn’t matter if it’s day old cafeteria joe or a caramel macchiato, venti, skim, extra shot, extra-hot, extra-whip, sugar-free (on 2013 list of most obnoxious Starbucks orders).
- Better tech, lower price. We live in an age of technology cornucopia (hey, another Thanksgiving reference!). Think machine learning and close-to-human voice recognition, as well as the increasing affordability of business intelligence, predictive analysis, dashboards and data mining tools. Better pricing means that these tools are available to more of our customers. Our clients never had it better, with both high level and granular company information at their fingertips.
- Each and every one of you. Above all this year, we’re thankful to each of our clients and our colleagues in the tech industry who makes our jobs fun, rewarding and impactful to those we serve. We are honored to be part of such an important and exciting industry.
And now if you’ll pardon me, I feel a nap coming on.