As a testing team, you are used to writing test cases that are exclusively tied to a single application (web/mobile). Each and every time you want to test a new application, you start writing from scratch. Instead, developers & testers need techniques to utilize the existing test cases for improved productivity.
The major segment of testing is designing and writing compelling test cases that involve input details, execution terminology, and probable results. In a current testing environment point of view, we have to leverage testing team efforts to minimize the time to write test cases and test case documentation maintenance. In order to achieve this, you should wisely use the time and documentation effort of the testing team that they invest in generating test cases. Understanding the techniques of reusing web test cases is the best way to start your journey.
Techniques of Reusing Web Test Cases
Reusing the test cases developed for the web in mobile testing is an efficient way both in terms of time and resource management in testing software products irrespective of the complexity and size of the project. The intricacy experienced by various other teams in the testing process for mobile testing is mitigated by reusing web test cases into mobile testing.
Test cases can be shared and reused for web testing across multiple mobile testing projects as per your requirement. The below picture is an example of efficient test case documentation for both web and mobile.
In the above picture, the first column represents six application functionalities that need to be evaluated for web and mobile. We will be dividing it into common and unique test cases which can be achieved by the two methodologies mentioned below.
The manual technique of reusing web test cases
In this technique, both common and unique test cases are used to evaluate the application functionality based on the project requirement. In the second column (Refer image above), six common test cases are used to evaluate the application functionality. Whereas, in the third column, three unique test cases for web and three unique test cases for mobile are used to evaluate the application functionality.
- Modularization, Parameterization, and Data-Driven Testing (DDT) are the three best manual techniques of reusing web test cases
- In the manual process, starting with small and manageable test cases helps to build a modular, flexible test library that helps with the reusability of test cases
- In the manual process, you need to ensure test cases:
- Are accurate to match the intent of reuse
- Have no redundant steps or repetition
- Are capable of being traced to match the requirement
- Are compatible to repeat the test over and over
- Are resilient to reusability
Automation technique of reusing web test cases
- Test cases will be scheduled for automation based on automation order
- All manual steps will be translated to script code
- All reusable test cases will be verified and modified until they match the automation process
- The automation process will be executed sequentially based on specific automation rate and steps per hour
Benefits of Reusing Test Cases in Mobile Testing
Starting your journey with small, manageable chunks and then formulating the plan to build a modular and resilient test library can help you enhance and ensure the reusability over time. Therefore, adopting a modular test-case design with necessary elements can magnify the productivity of testing and maintains the application’s functionality in a swift approach. This strategy simplifies many complex stages of reusing web test cases in mobile testing and offers benefits such as:
- Lower rate of redundancy
- Reusable large-scale test libraries
- Broader test coverage facility
- Lower maintenance efforts
- Improved efficiency and productivity
How can Pyramid Solutions help?
Pyramid QA designers bring both skill and business knowledge to mobile testing, with extensive experience of testing diverse devices, internal hardware, operating systems, and carriers.
- We are equipped with all devices for testing to assure app compatibility
- We offer testing expertise through every stage of your development process
- We can assist with App Store Certification
- Our mobile app testing lab is a state-of-art setup
- We provide exclusive mobile app testing consultation
Pyramid Solutions is a global technology and process-driven organization offering customer-centric solutions. Our domain and industry experts engineers provides technology solutions for clients in a wide range of industries including retail, healthcare, insurance, software development, banking & financial services, and telecommunications. If you’re keen to know the strategy to reuse web test cases into mobile testing, then request a demo today!