AGILE TESTING SOLUTION
Testing software is like doing the laundry. If you wait until the bins are all full (i.e., typical software testing), you’ve got a long, tedious day of washing ahead of you—and some socks (quality) are going to get lost in the process. Pyramid’s agile testing solution is like doing a load a day. It’s a lot more efficient and it puts those handy cargo shorts back into circulation more quickly. The kicker is that with agile testing everyone washes their own threads, so to speak, creating a level of quality focus and ownership that results in much whiter whites and some really crisp folding.
Metaphors aside, our agile development practices result in usable software developed and tested iteratively and quickly in a collaborative process where accountability and excellence matter more than code volume. The result that matters, like that crisp stack of clean clothes, is better, faster, and cleaner software. No wrinkles.
Pyramid’s agile testing solution is not a separate phase, but an integral part of software development. The concepts of Test Driven Development and Continuous Integration are key to agile development, which covers all types of testing. Testing and coding are done incrementally and iteratively, building up each feature until it provides enough value to release to production. Pyramid QA Designers provide organizations helpful taxonomy to enable teams to identify and plan needed testing.
Agile Testing Challenges
- Limited documentation on requirements and more dependence on collaborative meetings to brainstorm
- Incomplete code delivery by the time testers start their testing
- Changes until the last minute and at times even in the middle of development
- Increased responsibility to drive both stakeholders to define requirements and teams to ensure testable code delivery
- Identifying the right balance of test procedures between manual, regression, and automation testing
Pyramid Agile Testing Solution
Pyramid’s Agile Software Testing Solution includes a proactive, innovative, and fundamentally different approach to professional testing. Pyramid solutions allow full implementation of agile methodologies independent of scale.
The QA Analyst reviews the acceptance criteria and may consult the product owner for any clarification. The tester links the tests to user stories in the system by creating a task. Initial test scenario creation is a manual test exercise and is also used to determine planning for the automated test scripts. Test scenarios are defined based on the user story description, acceptance criteria, and UI wire frames, etc. Test plan creation occurs following the sprint planning meeting. These manual test scenarios are documented in the system agreed by the team.
When the development team has prepared testable pieces, QA and development create internal development demos on user story functionality. During the demos, the tester creates notes to help determine any test scenarios that are missing during the initial test case design that remain to be tested. Defects found during manual test execution are logged into the defect tracking tool. During automation test scenario execution, any critical defects that affect proper navigation of the application will delay automation testing. If no critical defects are found, the manual and automation tester work together to develop automated test scripts.
- The QA team reviews all test artifacts/defects before submitting to the client, helping to minimize defect slippages.
- We periodically review our processes.
- To ensure best-in-class integration and system testing, our QA Engineers undergo comprehensive training where they learn complete applications, rather than just modules or features.
- In mentoring and training our QA resources we deploy the full knowledge and experience of our QA Center of Excellence to ensure world-class service.
- Testers are active contributors in planning and requirements analysis.
- Each team member is accountable for quality, which instills team value.
- The model promotes the importance of testers and encourages continuous feedback sharing with programmers and the customer.
- The model creates traceability between the requirements, test cases, and bugs.
- QA designers contribute to user story improvements.
- We offer specialized skills in test-driven development, including unit testing, continuous integration and unit level.
- The model leverages automated regression testing.